Make the most out of niche communities with the power of forum link building.
Author Tereza Litsa Date published October 9, 2020
SEO is evolving through the years and it’s still more important than ever in your digital strategy.
It takes time to rank high in Google’s search results and one of the best ways to improve your success is to aim for credible backlinks to your content.
Backlinks can prove that the content is trustworthy and useful enough for the users to get you higher in SERPs.
Through the years, link building is still one of the most effective methods to build your SEO. It helps you improve your search visibility and work towards reaching higher in the SERPs in a consistent and efficient way.
The question is, how can you make the most out of it in 2020?
Forum link building can be your secret weapon.
Here are the key takeaways:
Embracing crowd marketing
One of the most common tactics in link building is guest posting. It’s the process of featuring your content on another blog to get a link back to your site.
Although it’s a popular method, there are still more options to consider.
For example, ‘crowd marketing’, involves link building through communities and forums.
Crowdo is listing the benefits of ‘crowd marketing’ on their latest report:
- Forums can be relevant for every niche industry. You can get links back to your site even when trying to reach a very specific group of people
- It can be easier to get a link on a forum compared to getting a guest post published.
- A lot of forums have been around for many years, which increases their credibility as a source of a link
It’s relatively easy to get a backlink from a forum. Your research can help you find the best way to reach your target audience to maximise the value.
It’s important though to avoid spamming or automated link generators. Crowd marketing should be a white hat technique rather than a quick win with no tangible results.
Focusing on the right links
You don’t want to gather as many links as you can if they don’t add value to your site and your ranking.
The quality of backlinks is crucial. If you’re unsure how to define the quality of the backlink, here are the key factors to consider:
- Website traffic. Examine the traffic of the website to understand its popularity and it value it can bring
- Relevance. Pick the forums and threads that are relevant to your site’s content. Don’t waste your time on links that are useless.
- Authority. Look at the domain authority (DA) of the website. Tools like Ahrefs/ Moz / Semrush can help you discover a site’s DA. Aim for a DA that’s at least 50.
- Context. Make sure your link is naturally placed in a sentence. Don’t just add the link on its own but rather link it to the right context.
- Quality of forum. Analyse the forum’s quality. Too many spam posts are not a good indication of its quality. Aim for forums that are highly moderated as this may indicate the increase in the quality and the trust.
Best practices for scaling up link building
If you’re just getting started with link building, it might feel challenging to scale up your efforts.
There’s no need to quit though.
Here are Crowdo’s tips on how to address your challenges:
- Don’t skip research. Research is crucial. Find the communities that are more relevant to your target audience. Look at their metrics. Read the latest threads to explore the topics that you want to be featured on.
- Build trust. When you’re just getting started in a community, it’s important to take the time to build trust. If you need to register, fill all the details on your profile, join additional conversations, and aim for the long-term relationship.
- Confirm that the threads are indexed by Google. Make sure that the forum threads that you’re about to post are indexed by Google. You don’t want to waste your time without seeing the content indexed.
- Treat link building as an investment. Link building takes time. If your niche forum requires a registration fee, work on your end goal and what you want to get out of it. If it justifies the investment, do not hesitate to invest more time and resources on it.
If you want to see what forum building looks like, here is an example from Crowdo’s report.
In this example, the target niche is insurance providers. The community has more than 80k visitors, 93 DA, 48 TF. Thus, it makes the perfect source to add value to a conversation along with a dofollow backlink.
It’s a great example of how your research can lead you to the right source to make your link both useful and relevant.
If you’re looking for SEO advice or implementation for your business, feel free to contact
us directly and we’ll get in touch. Yullux was voted the #1 agency in Europe, Yullux is based in
London, United Kingdom if you prefer to walk-in.